latest posts

In working on the NetBSD-mips ports of jcBench and jcDBench, I realized I never did a Solaris port of either when working on my Sun Blade 2500 last Fall. Without further adieu I am proud to announce the initial releases of both jcBench and jcDBench for sparc/Solaris compiled with g++ 4.80. Both have 0 dependencies so just extract and run. Man pages and a true installer will come with the big 1.0 release (more on that at a later date).

You can download jcBench 0.8.753.0318 here.

You can download jcDBench 0.1.48.0318 here.

No known issues in my testing on Solaris 5.10 with my Sun Blade 2500.

Any suggestions, issues, comments etc. just leave a comment below and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
After a little bit of work on both getting the platform specific code working perfectly - I am proud to announce the initial releases of both jcBench and jcDBench for mips/NetBSD. Both have 0 dependencies so just extract and run. Man pages and a true installer will come with the big 1.0 release (more on that at a later date).

You can download jcBench 0.8.752.0306 here.

You can download jcDBench 0.1.47.0312 here.

No known issues in my testing on NetBSD 5.2.2 with my Cobalt Qube 2.

Any suggestions, issues, comments etc. just leave a comment below and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Continuing my work on my Cobalt Qube 2, I had some time tonight to re-install NetBSD on a Corsair NOVA 30GB SSD.

A fairly trivial hardware installation with a PATA<->SATA adapter:
Gateway Qube 2 - PATA<->SATA Adapter

Gateway Qube 2 - Corsair NOVA SSD

After installation I ran jcDBench after running it with the "stock" Seagate Barracuda ATA IV PATA drive expecting a huge boost in performance, I was disappointed to see these results: [bash] $ ./jcDBench Running with no arguments... #----------------------------------------------- # jcDBench mips/NetBSD (0.1.47.0312) # (C)2013 Jarred Capellman # # Test Date : 3-13-2014 18:48:14 # Starting Size : 4096 # Maximum Size : 4194304 # Iterations : 100 # Filename : testfile #----------------------------------------------- # test size write read # (bytes) (MB/s) (MB/s) #----------------------------------------------- 4096 1.83MB/s 6.17MB/s 8192 3.01MB/s 10.3MB/s 16384 6.77MB/s 13.2MB/s 32768 8.5MB/s 11.4MB/s 65536 3.55MB/s 10.9MB/s 131072 3.83MB/s 11.6MB/s 262144 3.78MB/s 12.1MB/s 524288 3.87MB/s 12.4MB/s 1048576 3.9MB/s 7.47MB/s 2097152 3.91MB/s 7.56MB/s 4194304 3.93MB/s 7.58MB/s Benchmark Results Uploaded [/bash] The "stock" drive performed reads very similarly and the writes it performed considerably better than the theoretically much faster SSD. Not convinced something else was wrong, I went through the dmesg. Low and behold:
[bash] wd0 at atabus0 drive 0: wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing wd0: 28626 MB, 58161 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 58626288 sectors wd0: 32-bit data port wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133) wd0(viaide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using DMA) Kernelized RAIDframe activated boot device: wd0 root on wd0a dumps on wd0b root file system type: ffs viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt type: ata tc_bcount: 16384 tc_skip: 0 viaide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x20 wd0: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 1 wd0(viaide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA) wd0a: DMA error reading fsbn 28640352 of 28640352-28640383 (wd0 bn 34144032; cn 33873 tn 0 sn 48), retrying wd0: soft error (corrected) viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt type: ata tc_bcount: 16384 tc_skip: 0 viaide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x20 wd0: transfer error, downgrading to PIO mode 4 wd0(viaide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4 wd0a: DMA error reading fsbn 31656736 of 31656736-31656767 (wd0 bn 37160416; cn 36865 tn 7 sn 55), retrying wd0: soft error (corrected) [/bash] For whatever reason the drive got downgraded to PIO mode 4 - or 16.6mb/sec down from the 33mb/sec Ultra-DMA mode 1 offers. Doing some reasch on the issue, two suggestions came up: 1) the drive was failing (which is possible, but unlikely considering I just purchased it) and 2) the controller or adapter is faulty. Having never used this adapter in another system I am leaning towards later - I will have to pull out the adapter I am using for my DEC Personal Workstation 433a which I know works perfectly.

More to come on this issue...