latest posts

Some time ago (I want to say 2005) while working on my Infinity Project I was having issues with the large pre-rendered animations I was rendering out in 3ds max (funny to think that 1024x1024@32bpp was at one point huge) akin to the Final Fantasy VII-IX style. After a few animations not only were the files huge, the number of files (they were rendered out to individual frame files) got out of control. Thinking outside the box I started working on my own image format that could contain multiple frames of animation akin to a gif, while also applying what I thought was an ingenious compression approach. Not a hard problem, but when it came to writing a 3ds max or Photoshop plugin to convert targa files to the new format I was overwhelmed (surprisingly I never thought to just write a command line app to batch convert them).

Fast forward 9 years to last April/May while watching the HBO show Silicon Valley, I was reminded of my earlier compression idea that I never brought to life. Approaching it as a 28 year old having spent the last 8 years doing professional C# as opposed to the 19 year old version of myself proved to be a huge help. I was able to finally implement it to some degree, however any file over 5mb would take several minutes even on my AMD FX-8350, not exactly performance friendly. So I shelved the project until I could come up with a more performance friendly approach and at the same time write it to be supported across the board (Windows Store, Win32, Windows Phone, Android, Linux, MacOSX, FreeBSD).

Fast forward again to December 21st, 2014 - I had a hunch a slightly revised approach might satisfy the requirements I laid out earlier and finally gave it a name, jcCCL (Jarred Capellman Crazy Compression Library). Sure enough it was correct, and at first I was seeing a 10-15X compression level over zip or rar on every file format (png, mp4, mp3, docx, pdf) I tried. As is the case most of the time, this was due to an error in my compression algorithm not outputting all of the bytes that I uncovered when getting my decompression algorithm working.

As it stands I have a WPF Win32 application compressing and decompressing files with drag and drop support, however the compression varies from 0 to 10% - definitely not a world changing compression level. However, now that all of the architecture (versioning support, wrappers etc.) are all complete I can focus on optimizing the algorithm and adding in new features like encryption (toying with the idea that it will be encrypted by default). More to come in time on this project, hoping to have a release available soon.